clouds in my coffee

Friday, April 06, 2007

Love's an excuse to get hurt. And to hurt.

There's a new Bright Eyes album coming out next week! Check it out here. I've heard some of the songs from the new album already and I'm liking them a lot. He never ceases to amaze me with the variety of sounds in his songs, all held together by his distinct voice.

The first two songs I heard from him were so different in so many ways. One was sweet and soothing and so full of hope and new found life.
A happy song for happier times.

The other was pained and dark. The unhappy ending of a story. Knowing the meaningnessless of it all and not caring. The cold comfort of not feeling anything.

Everything fades, degenerates, ends. Why bother trying to make anything last.

I picked you out of a crowd and talked to you.

I said, "I like your shoes."
You said, "Thanks. Can I follow you?"

So it's up the stairs and out of view. No prying eyes. I poured some wine. I asked your name. You asked the time. Now it's 2 o'clock. The club is closed, we out of the block. Your hands on me, pressing hard again your jeans. Your tongue in my mouth, trying to keep the words from coming out. You didn't care to know who else may have been you before.

I want a lover I don't have to love. I want a girl who's too sad to give a fuck. Hey where's the kid with the chemicals? I thought he said to meet him here but I'm not sure. I got the money if you've got the time.

You said, "It feels good."
I said, "I'll give it a try."

Then my mind went dark. We both forgot where your car was parked. Let's just take the train. I'll meet up with the band in the morning.

Bad actors with bad habits. Some sad singers they just play tragic. And the phone's ringing and the van's leaving . Let's just keep touching. Let's just keep singing.

I want a lover I don't have to love. I want a boy who's so drunk he doesn't talk. Hey where's the kid with the chemicals? I've got a hunger and I can't seem to get full. I need some meaning I can memorize. The kind I have always seems to slip my mind.

But you write such pretty words. But life's no storybook. Love's an excuse to get hurt and to hurt.

"Do you like to hurt?"
"I do. I do."
"Then hurt me."





Bright Eyes | Lover I Don't Have To Love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home