clouds in my coffee

Monday, May 14, 2007

Lost inside this lonely game we play


So I got my mum the Carpenters Gold Greatest Hits cd for a mother's day present and was delighted to hear This Masquerade again.

The melody in a bossa nova rhythm is just so hauntingly beautiful, and both the piano and flute solos are so much better than what I remembered them to be. I've never had much chance to hear the lyrics before, but as I suspected, the words are as wistful and poignant as the melody.

Are we really happy
With this lonely game we play
Looking for the right words to say

Searching but not finding
Understanding anyway
We're lost in this masquerade

Both afraid to say we're just too far away
From being close together from the start
We tried to talk it over but the words got in the way
We're lost inside this lonely game we play

Thoughts of leaving disappear
Each time I see your eyes
And no matter how hard I try

To understand the reason
Why we carry on this way
We're lost in this masquerade



I only managed to stream a sample track, but the download is the full version. (You might be able to hear the full song here though, but I can't launch the player so I'm not too sure.)

Carpenters | This Masquerade

2 Comments:

  • At July 01, 2007 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i like the the ehading of the blog - clouds in my coffee - it describes you and a certain mood you are in..

    also, the songs you have chosen follow this thread very well..

    revealing....

    was this intentional or just happenstance?

     
  • At July 02, 2007 6:58 PM, Blogger fiona said…

    I choose songs to coincide with what I want to say, so I guess you could say it's intentional. Thanks though! *smile*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home